Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Ice Warriors (1)

Hi all,
thank you for your feedback and support.
For now the Gothica is finished - I will leave her alone for about a week and then revisit her and see. I will most likely add another black wash to the plinth - make it look more charcoal - and also decide on the make-up.

I'm sure most of you have by now seen the new Imperial Knight, the Knight Armiger.
I'm quite excited.
And I was also pleased to see that the model is quite close (in my opinion) to my Pollux & Castor designs - http://fischers-design-shop.blogspot.de/2014/03/pollux-and-castor-9.html?m=1
Too bad I never finished them and don't have them anymore...
Oh well.

So, now that the Gothica is pretty much done I have already started a new (well actually two) project.
This one will be called "Ice Warriors" and is inspired by the wonderful plinth I got from Ulrich "Der Zwerg vom Nettenscheid" - aka www.sockelandbases.de 
I immediately fell in love with the plinth and was thinking what I could do with it. And quite early I had the image of a female swords warrior launching herself over the "chasm" onto her enemies.

With this idea in mind I went through my collection and decided on another "Raging Heroes" model.
Another "Knight of the Chalice" from the Kickstarter I supported - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/tgg2-light-and-darkness?lang=de

The initial setup was against Tyranids - I still have the 'Nids from Space Hulk - but that didn't work as planned, so I then tried it with Necrons.
This seems to work better.
I also decided to make it a snow/ice base.
with some icy patches made of Greenstuff.
One part of the scene is a bit slasher like - I want her one sword to just have slashed the one Necron. So I cut the basic shape if the slashing motion from Plastic Card.
Gives it a bit of dynamic.
I then covered that basic form with Greenstuff
and formed with the remaining Greenstuff some more ice patches and some icicles.
 
Unfortunately they reacted to the very dry wood and cured erratic, thus warping quite strongly.
 
For the landscape itself I used baking soda and PVA glue to create the snow patches, then Greenstuff for the sheets of ice. Everything was then base coated with an icy blue. the non-snow and non-sheets areas were then covered with crackle medium.
Once this was just about cured I gave it a coat of very light blue. During the curing process it then creates nice cracks - with the darker blue beneath showing in the cracks.
Finally everything received a coat to drybrushed white.
 
Since those bent and warped icicles were very annoying to me, I cut most of them off and re-created them from clear sprue.
 
Here is the swords knight just before final cleanup.
 
The sword broke off several times, so I pinned it and added some PVA glue also.
 
I also realized that the scene was a bit flat - everything on one pane - so I added another pile of snow from which the knight will hurl herself at the second Necron.
 
This is the first Necron I ever started to paint :)
It's still work in progress, but I like it.
I still need to add a bit of Greenstuff to the "wound" - a bit more splatter :)
 
Sorry for the lacking focus...
 
And I also started the second Necron.
 
 This is as far as I got over the last 5 days.
So what do you think of the new project?
Ideas, suggestions, feedback?
I look forward to your comments.
Cheers
Klaus